Today, innovative technology makes the recording and sharing of high-resolution interactive videos very easy.
Team members can now create over-the-shoulder how-to videos and even pre-recorded webinars in a few clicks.
Every team should be creating video content. Video builds trust and credibility while simplifying the transfer of information.
In fact, 85 percent of the US internet audience watches videos online and over 500 million people watch videos on Facebook every day.
However, while creating educational video content is easy to do, ensuring you have the right tools is the first step to effective video creation.
To help you pick the best possible option, I put together a list of some of the best screen recording software currently available and reviewed them based on ease of use, pricing, integrated features and more.
Let’s get started.
What is the best screen recorder on the market?
Here are my top picks for the best screen recording software to use this year.
Camtasia is a feature-rich tool for creative and innovative video creation. You have the ability to create high-quality video content and add vibrant popover text as well as interactive quizzes.
While Camtasia isn’t the most robust tool on the market, its capabilities are far from basic and meets the needs of users who need quality video content quickly.
- Comes out of the box with a set of library assets that contain templates, images, audio files, motion graphics and text icons
- Highly intuitive user interface for recording that is easy to understand and newbie-friendly
- Allows for the creation of high-quality videos efficiently even if you aren’t tech-savvy
- Animation and transition editing features can be challenging to manipulate and master
- Limited cross-compatibility when using different versions
- Audio editing capability could be more robust
Loom is a lightweight and versatile screen recorder that allows you to quickly record, edit and share videos.
Best used for quick instructional videos, process workflows and demos that do not require a lot of editing.
- Gets high-quality screen recordings processed quickly
- Stores videos on cloud where link to content can be shared as opposed to having to download files
- Supports Chrome and can capture recording of a browser window
- Library interface that houses recorded videos could have better sorting and organizing features
- Editing features are limited and not suitable for more sophisticated video content
- Recording can lag when creating longer videos
Screencastify is an incredibly simple screen recorder that allows you to record, edit and share high definition videos in seconds.
Educational videos. Teachers love this tool as it gives the opportunity to add graphics while recording to draw attention to certain parts of your presentation.
- Easy to use, edit and customized recordings
- Syncs seamlessly with Google Drive for automatic video storage
- Lightweight interface and quick processing power
- 5-minute recording limit for free version
- Mobile compatibility is limited as sometimes the recording freezes
Bandicam is a modern, lightweight and versatile screen recorder that allows you to create high-quality videos that are easy to share
Creating high quality short videos that can be shared on YouTube, Facebook and other social media platforms. In addition to traditional screen recording, Bandicam allows a game recording mode (for capturing gameplay footage) and a device recording mode (where you can record external devices such as phones and gaming systems (Microsoft XBOX and Sony Playstation).
- Allows for very high-quality recording and supports up to 4K output
- Simple and clean user interface
- Setup is easy to get you recording quickly
- Does not support use on MAC or Linux computer systems
- Free version shows Bandicam watermark and are limited to 10-minute recordings
Screencast-O-Matic is a highly functional and easy-to-use screen capturing software that allows you to easily create new videos for free (there is an upgraded premium version that has more robust recording and editing features)
Teachers and course creators will find Screencast-O-Matic to be intuitive and fairly simple to understand. Editing is easy and allows for truncation and re-recording areas in the video that need improvement.
- Java applet allows use of the Screencast-O-Matic software without having to download it
- Direct publishing option allows you to broadcast directly to Youtube
- Free version allows you to create and publish videos
- Editing tools are limited, even when using the paid version
- Requires users to have internet access when using recording platform